Unpopular Music 2011, A Benefit for FBi Radio | NWAUM003
Unpopular Music returned to Sydney on Saturday December 17th 2011, raising cash for FBi and featuring eight bands over two venues. A free compilation was released as a promotional item prior to the event, and features tracks from all the artists who played at Unpopular Music 2011.
1. STRANGE FORCES – Shizer In The Shadows 04:47 (from Strange Forces, New Editions)
2. ZEAHORSE – Kathie’s Makeover 07:35 (previously unreleased)
3. SECRET BIRDS – Pink Nites 08:34 (from Peace Forest, Bon Voyage Records)
4. SCATTERED ORDER – At Last You Have One 05:17 (from It’s Behind You, Rather Be Vinyl)
5. THOMAS WILLIAM vs SCISSOR LOCK – Cadillic 05:12 (from Jewelz, New Editions)
6. MONOLITH – Empty Spaces 04:25 (previously unreleased)
7. UND – sub cut anue (b) 12:31 (previously unreleased)
8. ANNA CHASE – Lines 03:42 (from New Weird Australia, Volume Six)
Released December 2011.
Unpopular Music 2011 saw four of Sydney’s underground & experimental music promoters working together for the first time – New Weird Australia, Octopus Pi, Sound Series and Refraction – staging two shows in one evening.
The late show (9pm) at Dirty Shirlows in Marrickville featured Brisbane psych-rock ex-pats Strange Forces (back on Aussie soil after tearing up a storm in Berlin over the last two years), Sydney drone-grunge four piece Zeahorse, former Brisbane residents Secret Birds (one of the last artists, and few Australians, to feature on Pitchfork’s now defunct Altered Zones blog) and Scattered Order (fully re-energised and at a new creative peak, following the addition of Shane Fahey to the lineup).
At 6pm, the early show at Hardware saw Thomas William and Scissor Lock launch their debut collaborative album ‘Jewelz‘, with support from Melbourne’s Monlith, Und and Anna Chase. The event also featured DJs Paul Gough (Pimmon), Jack Shit and Octopus Pi, with a ‘Magical Audio Tour’ between venues.